Thursday, January 5, 2012

Fedora 16 boot problem

Problem: When I accidentally hit the recovery boot process of HP540 Laptop, fedora 16 grub menu wiped out. When restarted and cancelled the Recovery process, it will directly boot to XP, no grub menu.

Setup: Dual boot with Windows XP.

Solution:

I have still the copy of Fedora 16 re-imaged on my USB, I boot the laptop using the USB and make the repair from there.

1. Open terminal shell.
2. Do fdisk -l to find out what disk does the laptop has, on mine, its /dev/sda as the main disk.
3. Find the /boot partition, mine is at /dev/sda3 since I created a separate mount for it
4. mount /dev/sda3 /boot - this will mount your actual /boot on the live system.
5. run the command grub2-install /dev/sda
6. reboot, on mine, it successfully restored the grub and able to get back to my fedora 16 system.